Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Dreaming of Limitless Faith

"The Lord delights in those who fear him,
who put their hope in his unfailing love."
- Psalm 147:11-


I remember, as a little kid, that I had a horrible understanding of why God delighted in those who feared him. Now that I think about it, I still don't have the best understanding of this idea, but I'm getting closer. Part of the reason, I believe, is due to my lack of belief that His love is unfailing. I know, I know: How can I belittle God's awesome deistic nature? It is not that I want to, but that I have a hard time not doing it.
Now, twelve years after I first tried to comprehend this interesting paradigm of God's nature, I am almost there. I now see that his delight stems from the child-like fear we have for Him, since it shows that we truly realize the majesty of His nature. However, I still can't get over the fact that his love is unfailing. This world has scarred me and left me with such a preposterous notion of what love is, that I can't comprehend placing my hope in His unfailing love. The only way I can try to understand is if I remove my own opinions and just imagine a pure and harmless embrace, a true, natural love. It is hard, but I'm getting closer and He is helping me to get there. It is as George Eliot wrote, "...the strongest principle of growth lies in human choice." I have chosen to blot out my own understandings of God and allow for Him to change me. I have taken the first step, a step that a few years ago I didn't think I would be able to make.

For His Glory,
Pete

No comments: