Wednesday, October 3, 2007

You Complete Me

"The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;"
Psalm 138:8

There are some days when the melancholy hopelessness of the world just overwhelms me. I sit at the base of a window, laying my face in my hands, and just pray that this really isn't it. I remember, in my early high school years, a day that I climbed a mountain close to my house. When I reached the summit, I sat down and stared out over the gloomy valley. There was so much of it and so little of me. What purpose could I possibly have in the midst of all of that.
It wasn't until a few years later that I understood a little bit more of what God was calling me to do. If someone had told me five years ago that Outcry would be leading worship at events with numbers in excess of 5,000, I probably wouldn't have believed them. As the verse says, however, "the LORD will fulfill his purpose" in our lives. That is what I didn't seem to understand. Why would God have a specific purpose for me? Doesn't He have a few more important things to do than consider the life of one of five billion creatures He currently has destroying this earth of His? I couldn't get my mind around it. Hell, I still can't get my mind around it, but you know what - I don't need to.
See, that is what I never understood about faith. How could a person trust so fully in something they couldn't even comprehend? Now, however, I realize that it is not about comprehension, but just believing. If you needed to comprehend everything, there would be no such thing as faith. So, if that's what faith is, I don't need to get my mind around the awesomeness of God; I simply need to believe.
By believing in His supernatural, caring nature, I can better understand how He would have a purpose for each of our lives. I can see the fruit of this in my own life and am excited as it starts to ripen. I will not fully know my purpose in God's eyes until I am living it, but I can say with some confidence that I think I am getting mighty close to living it. When I can look out from the stage and see a multitude of youth crying out in desperation to the Almighty God, I think I may be getting close. I pray that I will embrace His plan for me, whether I understand it or not.

For His Glory,
Pete

No comments: