Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Failure of Futures

"This is what the LORD says: "Do not learn the ways of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them.
For the customs of the peoples are worthless;
...
I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own;
it is not for man to direct his steps."
-Jeremiah 10


The Failure of Futures

Often times, people plan for the future. We are conditioned for it, in a way, with formal education. We are told to do well in elementary school so that we may go to a prestigious high school. We wish to go to the prestigious high school so that we may go to an even more prestigious college. Then, we use the education we receive at said college to find a prosperous career.
Now, none of this is inherently wrong. However, we are wrong when we do not take the time to see what God's plan is for our life. Believe me, I understand when someone says, "but I just don't know what God wants me to do!" I have been there. I am often still there. The difference between me and them, is that I listen for His answer.
The reason most people do not hear God, is that they are not really listening. Wait, that sounds so trite. Well, too bad! It is trite, but it is also the truth! We must open our ears to hearing before we can follow what has been ordained for us.
Now, I am guilty of this a thousand times over. I have followed passing whim to passing whim. I have forgotten His plans and misguided these feet of mine. I have destroyed a future that I had never known was available.
In the midst of this, God knew my heart, and offered me a redemption I did not deserve. He lifted my tired, misguided feet and set them down in an ocean of cleansing water. He spoke and I listened, content at this hiatus in my life. I did not move forward, but I did not fall back. I just waited and listened, and that is what made all the difference.


For His Glory,
Pete

No comments: